Thursday, 6 June 2013

Small Injustices

Now the daughter is approaching 9 she's aware of a lot in the big wide world, as well as her own little bubble. She's aware life isn't fair and that sometimes bad things happen, and that the best thing is to have faith in a higher power, and to do the best you can to make your life fair.

She asked me something yesterday and I wasn't quite sure how to respond, so I'm throwing it out to the blogosphere in the hope one or two of you will give your opinions/suggestions.

There is a child in her class who has slight learning difficulties and a small mobility issue. Of course we understand that there are certain instances in which there will be a different rule for this child than for others, but in yesterday's PE lesson they were playing rounders... this girl was run out.... but was allowed to carry on playing... yet when A was run out.. she was out. I can see exactly why A was annoyed. How come it's different rules?

I didn't really know what to say. Because to my mind, if a team member is out in a game like that... then they're out, and it's one of the few instances I don't think an exception should be made.

But I want to present a response to A in a positive light.

Hmm.. what to say?

6 comments:

  1. It's hard because you don't want Abby not to respect the authority of teachers but I've seen a lot of questionable decisions made by teachers and this would be added to this list. I guess you could say that the teacher was trying to be fair to the other child as if they have mobility issues, they might find it harder and their confidence may get knocked more easily in team games. But ultimately it wasn't very fair, and Abby should just be a good team player and rise above it. Which is really hard I know x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I agree with every word.

      I've told Abbie that she was playing by the rules of the game, and that she should be pleased by that

      Delete
    2. Ah man sorry I mispelt her name! Yeah that's probably the best response :)

      Delete
    3. Don't worry about it... SHE spelt it wrong yesterday. I figure we've all got a free go at spelling it wrong right now ;)

      I think that telling her to do the right thing/follow the rules even if others don't (for whatever reason) will hopefully set her on the right path in life :)

      Delete
  2. That's a tricky one! I would have been annoyed too, but whichever choice the teacher chose - whether to let the child continue playing or not - would have been unfair on somebody.

    Maybe explain to A that sometimes there are situations that can't be fair on everyone but the important thing is that she considers others, follows the rules and when in doubt, does what she thinks is right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it is a hard choice. Abbie's argument of "well, i don't run very fast either" rather stumped me.

      And yes, I've said exactly that now, and she was very understanding. I'm pleased that she can be rational (and more rational than some adults sad to say!)

      Delete