Sunday, 19 August 2012

Good Old Sussex By The Sea...

So... yesterday things were meant to happen, that didn't happen. Slightly disappointing, not wholly surprising, and thanks to buying a scratchcard to break a note for the bus, I had £15 to treat myself and the wee one to a day out.

So we went to Hastings. We live 45 minutes down the train tracks from Hastings, and with my Friends and Family Railcard (something I *TOTALLY* recommend to anyone with children) It was less than £8 for the train...

As you might possibly (hopefully) just be able to make out from this photo... £6.75 for my return, and £1 for Bee.

It was a beautifully warm day, so I wore a pink t-shirt, cut off denim skirt, blue leggings and basketball shoes, while this crazy child decided to wear a pretty  tunic top, grey jeggings and knee high boots. I have no idea how her brain works, and she didn't want to change, so this is how we went. Can you tell the family resemblance? We've got the same nose, and almost identical hair colours, though I think she's got her fathers eyes, in shape at least. Photos like this always shock me a little, as I swear she doesn't look like a seven year old right there.

She was extremely well behaved waiting for the train (we had a 20 minute wait thanks to someone before us in the queue dithering like heck.), we went to the station shop, and treated ourselves to a cheeky vanilla coke, thanks to the US import stand.



I've no idea why we can't get this in this country anymore. Though I can't claim to have always been a huge fan, as I don't remember it disappearing from our shelves. I've always been a cherry cola lady.


And then we were on the train. Going past Mount Caburn we saw some paragliders(?) (VERY brave individuals in my not hugely-liking-heights opinion)



And within 45 minute we were in Hastings. I wish I'd taken more pictures while we were in Hastings. We'll defnitely go again though, and I'll make sure to do it next time.

First stop - The Cliff Lifts. Both Abbie and I like our railways, we're always game for a day-trip out by train. So catching the train, to ride a train is a bit of a double whammy for us.

The East and West Hill Cliff Lifts are a pair of Funicular Railways in Hastings. The East Hill lift being the Funicular Railway with the steepest gradient in the UK. (78 degrees for anyone interested)

 You enter the West Hill Lift here on George Street, surrounded by a lot  of antiques and book shops in Hastings Old Town...






And up you ride....

The West Hill Lift is mostly in tunnel.





video
Here's Abbie's spoken tour. I'm sorry the sound isn't very good, we didn't realise how noisy it was until after we were home and had started to put everything onto the computer.


 When we got to the top we went to have a look around... We didn't go into Hastings Castle, but had a look around, and took some photos from the top of the hill before riding the Lift back down to George Street and walking through old town to the East Hill Lift.

It was a scorching hot day, so we were both drinking from huge bottles of water to keep ourselves cool, but I still ended up raspberry red in the face. Always happens. I blush super quick too!







The East Hill Lift is a much sunnier, and definitely much steeper journey...













Despite not being a huge fan of heights (as aforementioned), I did take a photo from the end of the carriage.

Funiculae... Funicular... Funiculucking long way DOWN!











You do get some fabulous shots!!











Given the heat, we, of course, had to get Mr Whippy... Abbie certainly enjoyed this one, though I have to say, I did prefer my blue vanilla one that I had down at the sea front.



video
And then it was time to go down.





We were feeling overheated (Abbie) and lazy (Me) by the time we got to the bottom, so I took this lovely shot of Abbie by one of the fishing boats.

Then we caught the bus up to the train station...







And decided to hop a train to Battle.





Where Abbie posed with the Abbey sign. (Should have got her to cover Abbey too)


And a very tired Abbie had a rest outside Battle Abbey, before we bought a walking stick badge for her Great Grandad, and caught 2 trains home to Lewes and were treated to a slap up dinner thanks to Nanny and Grandad (or Great Nanny and Great Grandad as they are to Abbie, just don't tell them that!)

I would have taken pictures of my pizza, only I think I inhaled it before I had chance to take a picture.

But what a lovely day, and from such unpromising a start!



4 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I'd love to go on the funicular railway!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come stay with me, and we can make a day trip of it :D

      Delete
    2. I'll hold you to this! :D

      Delete
    3. Please do, it's such a lovely day out, and it's something different to do :)

      Delete